Calories are important. They provide the body with the nutrients and energy it needs to stay healthy and strong, but go overboard on the number of calories you take in, and you’ll be headed for disaster. The problem is, many people take in more calories than they can burn. If you’re struggling to lose weight, it could be that you’re making this common mistake. Cutting calories here and there, can make a huge difference. Here are 28 easy ways you can cut 100 calories from your diet to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
28 Simple Ways to Cut Back Calories Throughout the Day:
At Breakfast Time…
1. Try making the switch from whole or 2% milk to 1% or fat free milk. Check out these 4 Alternatives to Milk.
2. Use a small glass for high-calorie drinks, like juice, and pour cereal and oatmeal into a bowl that holds no more than 2 cups.
3. Flavor your coffee with spices, like cinnamon (a metabolic booster), instead of cream or flavored syrups.
4. Opt for 100% whole wheat toast, instead of that bagel.
When You’re Snacking…
5. Freeze fruit to enjoy a sweet treat during the day, instead of reaching for high-calorie sweets like muffins or candy.
6. Chose baked chips instead of other varieties of potato chips. Better yet, try our delicious Sweet Potato Chips.
7. Watch portions by only eating about the size of a tennis ball of any snack food. Learn more about portion sizes here.
8. Substitute chips with raw veggies, like celery, carrots, and bell peppers. Then, eat them with salsa or hummus, instead of a creamy, high-calorie dip, like ranch dressing. Be sure to try our tasty Zucchini Hummus!
At Lunch and Dinner…
9. Forget about high-calorie sides. Add fresh vegetables to your favorite sauces, meat loaf, or burgers to reduce calorie consumption. Skinny Ms. offers recipes for tons of healthy side dish options.
10. Ditch traditional creamy dressings. Try our Skinny Ms. Ranch Dip. It’s low-calorie and delicious!
11. Replace buns and bread with large leaves of green vegetables, like romaine lettuce or collards. Check out these recipes that use lettuce to cut calories.
12. Use a non-stick cooking spray, instead of oil or butter.
13. Cut back on the cheese. Make pizza, pitas and other favs without the cheese to cut fat calories. Our scrumptious Zucchini- Bell Pepper Pizza uses only 1/2 cup of 2% mozzarella cheese!
14. Slow down and enjoy your meal. The body takes approximately 30 minutes to digest food. When you scarf down your meal, you’ll never know when you’re full.
When Pouring a Beverage…
15. Soda can get addicting, and it’s terrible for your body. Always try to substitute sodas with healthier options. Try one of these 4 Healthy Alternatives to Diet Soda.
Can’t seem to battle back from soda addiction? Take our No Soda Challenge!
16. Use a teaspoon of honey, instead of sugar, in your tea.
17. Opt for water when you’re eating out. If you must have another beverage, order a small, as opposed to a large.
18. Avoid alcoholic beverages whenever possible, but if you must, limit yourself to one, and stay away from blended, high-calorie concoctions.
19. Have a square of dark chocolate to satisfy sweet cravings. Learn more about the health benefits of dark chocolate here.
20. Choose yogurt and fresh fruit, instead of store-bought ice cream. Our Skinny Strawberry Ice Cream is made with body-nourishing Greek Yogurt.
21. Choose a slice of cake from the center, where there is less high-calorie frosting.
22. Share dessert with a friend. Chances are, you’ll realize that you only really needed a couple of bites.
23. Substitute oil with apple sauce when baking.
When You’re Dining Out…
24. Just say, “no”, to complimentary pre-meal bread.
25. Order a cup of soup, instead of a bowl, and always select broth-based soups over cream-based ones.
26. Order dressings on the side, and go for a healthy option (containing healthy fats), like vinaigrettes.
27. Ask that the croutons be removed from your salad, or remove them yourself.
28. Order a bowl of soup and small salad for a complete meal. You’ll feel full, but consume far fewer calories than you would in a regular-sized entree’.
For more great ideas on how to make weight loss easier, check out this great Skinny Ms. Article. Share with us any tips or tricks you have on how to cut calories, by leaving a comment below.