Whether you’re gearing up for swimsuit season or just want to feel better about your body, you know it’s time to transform that flab into fab. But you can forget about celebrity diets or weird fasts—the only way to get fabulous (and stay there!) is with smart lifestyle changes. Read on for some ways to get started.
8 Ways to Transform Flab into Fab:
1. Commit to a healthier body. You can’t wish yourself some great abs or a tight tush. The only way to get there is to take concrete action, starting today. In other words, don’t wait until the weather gets better or yoga pants go on sale. Take action in your life now—you deserve a body that’s healthy, fit, and fabulous!
2. Set goals. Do you want to lose 20lbs? Tighten your glutes? Pinpoint exactly how you’d like your body to change, and set reasonable, attainable goals for getting there. For example, instead of just saying “I want to lose weight,” write down “I want to lose 2lbs a week for the next 8 weeks.” Post your goal in easy-to-see places, like on the fridge, a car dashboard, or a computer monitor, to remind yourself that you’re on a mission. Check out these 6 Skinny Menus to Kick Start Your Weight Loss Goals.
3. Clean up your diet. Processed foods are like weight-increasing ninjas, sneaking up on you with too much fat, sugar, and sodium. Lose weight by eating simple, non-processed meals filled with fiber, lean protein, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats.
4. Plan your meals. That end-of-day “Oh, crud, there’s nothing to eat” problem is a food trap every busy person can fall into. Set aside time each week to plan for the days ahead so you’re not tempted by the drive-thru or a processed meal. Check out how easy planning is with our popular 7 Day Menu Plan, Week One.
5. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. The best way to avoid flab-fostering snack attacks is to eat 5 to 6 small meals daily. This fuels your body throughout the day, keeping fat-burning metabolism higher and avoiding those dips that have you diving for the cheese curls. Get the skinny on healthful portion sizes with Learning How to Control Your Portions.
6. Skip the soda. One 20-ounce regular soda can pack about 220 calories a pop (pun intended). Cutting one soda a day eliminates 80,300 calories (equal to 23 pounds) every year. By the way, diet soda isn’t any healthier—it’s loaded with artificial sweeteners that may lower metabolism. Kick the habit with our No Soda Challenge.
7. Maximize that workout. Interval-type training strengthens the heart, burns fat, tones muscle, and boosts metabolism. What’s more, interval training can be done at home with little or no extra equipment. Try it out with our Inferno 4 Minute Burn.
8. Pump up. Blast the flab by adding weights to your workout. Added weight strengthens muscles. Why is that important for weight loss? Because muscle is an active body tissue, burning more calories than fat, even when you’re resting. In fact, strengthening muscle may boost the metabolic rate by an additional 15% . Use traditional weights, or try your hand at kettlebells. Kickstart your metabolism with this Kettlebell Fat Burning Workout.
A fab body is closer than you think! Which steps are you going to take today to build the fabulous body you deserve?