by Gale Compton
Here’s a perfect holiday gift for someone with a sweet tooth. These little bites are so easy to make and they’re made with unrefined sugar, egg whites, vanilla and unsweetened coconut. Add chocolate chips or leave them out. Either way, this melt in your mouth treat is yummy addition to any holiday party.
NOTE The fat in this recipe comes primarily from coconut. Yields: 18 cookies | Serving Size: 1 | Calories: 243 | Fat: 18 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Previous Points: 7 | Points Plus: 6 | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Sodium: 23 mg | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 12 g | Protein: 3 g |
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut, (freshly grated coconut is delicious...check out the video below on how to remove the meat from a fresh coconut)
- 2 large egg whites
- Dash of kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup small chocolate chips, Enjoy Life chips are for gluten-free, vegan (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, using a large spoon and mix until well combined and mixture can easily be molded. Mold mixture into 16 to 18 chocolate drop shapes, about 1 heaping tablespoon each. Place on prepared cookie sheet, leaving about 1" between each macaroon. Bake 8 minutes, rotate sheet and bake 8 additional minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature. Store in a airtight container for up to 2 days. Do not refrigerate.