If you think you have to give up all of your favorites to eat a clean, healthy diet, think again. This chocolate muffin recipe is so good, you’ll never know it contains healthy ingredients like coconut oil and oats. These can easily be made gluten-free by buying certified gluten-free oats, and you can even make them vegan by choosing non-dairy chocolate chips. Either way, this clean eating muffin recipe is sure to head to the top of your favorites list!
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1 muffin | Calories: 199 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 224 mg | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 1 3/4 cup rolled oats (I used gluten-free oats)
- 3 tablespoons (unrefined) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (for gluten-free use Enjoy Life brand)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
Put all ingredients except the chocolate chips and coconut flakes in a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until well combined and oats are ground. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
Pour batter evenly in the cupcake liners. Sprinkle with coconut flakes. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.