While we tend to focus on our own upkeep and hygiene, our furry friends need special attention, too. We love dog kisses, but bad doggie breath is enough to make us turn our heads and may make our dogs feel unloved. This DIY dog toothpaste recipe is the perfect blend that keeps our dogs’ breath smelling fresh and their gums healthy. Plus, it’s simple to prepare, without any unnecessary chemicals or ingredients.
Key Ingredients & Why They Work:
Bouillon Cube – This is solely for taste, so your dog won’t be too apprehensive about the mixture. Beef and chicken are good choices, however you can do a vegetarian one if you you’ve passed down your vegan tradition to your dog.
Parsley – Great for tackling bad breath.
Baking Soda – Baking soda is great for plaque removal.
What to Do:
1. In a small bowl, pour in 1 tablespoon of water, add the bouillon cube, and mix until the cube dissolves.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley, 6 tablespoons of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the bowl and mix thoroughly until paste-like.
3. You’re all set! Some dogs are hesitant about having their teeth brushed. You can try a washcloth instead. This also allows you to wipe excess away, so that your dog doesn’t swallow the mix. See which one works best for your dog.
4. If your dog is uncomfortable, you can find a way to positively reinforce the scenario with sweet words and pats.
5. Make sure your dog’s water bowl is full so he can get rid of any excess. Give him a treat aterward for being a good dog. Our DIY Doggie Breath Mints are a perfect treat to complement your dog’s fresh breath.
Follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.