Taco night is one of my favorite nights of the week- especially when taco night is gluten and dairy free as well as low in carbs (and paleo… without the beans)!
I love making these delicious, veggie-based Paleo-ish tacos and used romaine lettuce leaves as the wraps instead of a taco shell or tortilla shell and stuffed them with beans, tomato, peppers, homemade guacamole and some grass-fed beef. They are delicious!
So, the next time you gearing up to make a batch of tacos, treat the family to this much healthier, and oh-so-tasty alternative.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Yields: 6-8 servings | Serving Size: 1 taco | Calories: 185 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 115mg | Carbohydrates: 14g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 16 | Smart Points: 5 |
- For the meat:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Vidalia sweet onion
- 1 lb, grass-fed minced turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon each: dried basil, oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the “taco shells”:
- 1 head romaine lettuce- 6-8 large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup guacamole (homemade if possible!)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tetra-pak box of no-salt-added black beans (Chickpeas, White Beans or other bean option)
- ¾ cup chopped lettuce
- Optional additions:
- Vidalia or Red onion
- Sliced avocado
- Organic cheese of your choice
- Herbs and spices
- Sprinkle of dairy free or part-skim cheese to each
In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute or so
Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes)
Add the grass-fed beef, and sauté 7-10 minutes or until cooked, stirring every few minutes
While the beef is cooking, wash and chop the toppings and lay the romaine lettuce leaves out on serving plates
When the beef is cooked, add 1-2 Tablespoons to each lettuce wrap, then add toppings per personal preference
Once all desired toppings have been added, serve and enjoy!