In the mood for delicious cake, but you know it’s a no-no if you are dieting or eating healthy? Enter our paleo pound cake recipe. It is moist and delicious, but it contains none of the unappealing ingredients you might find in pound cakes that are store bought or made with traditional recipes. This means you can actually have your cake and eat it too!
Do you have a sweet tooth? Are you trying to lose weight? As any dieters knows, this combination can be lethal. The first foods you cut out when you decide to lose weight are high-calorie sweets. The refined sugar is a diet saboteur, but after a few days (or for some people, a few hours!) you get a craving for something sweet. You might be able to ignore your craving for awhile, but eventually, it takes over and you binge on sweets, causing more damage than necessary.
A better solution is to find alternatives to your favorite sweet treats. If you satisfy your craving every now and then, the sugar demon is less likely to win a full-blown attack. Looking for a satisfying sweets game plan? Try one of our mini desserts or whip up a batch of our healthy brownies.
This delicious recipe was created by Cassia from Paleo Pancakes and More.
Yields: 10 slices | Serving Size: 1 slice |Calories: 226 | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Total Fat: 11.9 g | Saturated Fat: 7.9 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 123 mg | Sodium: 151 mg | Carbohydrates: 21.8 g | Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g | Sugars: 14 g | Protein: 6.9 g |
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned is best...lite or whole will work)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. orange extract
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- Coconut oil for pan
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Grease a loaf dish or pan very thoroughly, lightly flour as well (I used coconut flour)
3. Beat eggs until smooth
4. Add remaining liquid ingredients and mix
5. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Some people have problems with coconut flour clumping and claim they must sift it. I personally have not yet found this to be an issue and usually opt not to do this step.
6. Bake. The original recipe called for 45 minutes. I found mine actually took almost a full hour to cook through the middle. Just start checking around 45 minutes every few minutes. Insert a toothpick and when it comes out done, you’re golden…
For the berry component keep it simple:
1. Slice up strawberries into whatever size you like.
2. Puree some of them for a sauce
3. Wash the blackberries
4. Assemble your shortcakes in whatever way suits your palette. The cake is quite dense so I chose thin slices.
5. If you “do dairy” a little homemade whipped cream on this would be awesome.
~ The end result was quite tasty and the perfect bed for beautiful fresh berries and a little puree for sauce.
Servings: 1 large loaf
Prep and Cook time: 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.