This spicy and nutritious soup is also quick and easy to make. Flavorful and filling, it can be served with a side of whole grain bread, and topped with fresh herbs or avocado.
Yields: 12 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 269 | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 477 mg | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Dietary fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 25 g
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced celery, approximately 2 stalks
- 3 (uncooked) chicken breast fillets (1.5 lbs) cut into bite size pieces (optional skinless, boneless thighs or a combination of breasts & thighs)
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, optional diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeño peppers, optional 2 fresh jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock, low-sodium, fat-free
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Skinny Ms. Taco Seasoning, optional ground cumin
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 6 white corn tortillas, cut into 1/4" wide strips, then cut strips in half
Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, except tortillas. Cook on low 7 - 8 hours, or until carrots are tender.
The last 20 minutes of cooking time, cut the tortillas in half, then cut into 1/2" strips, add to slow cooker. Cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
If desired, add a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream and reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese.