by Skinny Ms.
This is Beef Stew like Grandma used to make it with hearty chunks of meat, root vegetables, garlic and fresh herbs. And it’s so easy. Prep time is only 10 minutes and then the stew gently simmers all day in the slow cooker. Come home from a days work to delicious smells of the savory stew wafting through the kitchen. Open the lid on the slow cooker to an herby, savory broth brimming with bone-tender beef and rustic winter veggies.
What’s really comforting is that there’s nothing artificial, no preservatives or additives, in this beef stew. It’s a simple to prepare clean eating stew, with fresh, real ingredients that are delicious. You can feel good about feeding it to your family and yourself. It won’t break the diet or the bank, and the preparation is minimal for this nutrient-rich dish.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew can be garnished with chopped fresh parsley just prior to serving, if desired. Whole grain bakery bread is a delicious side.
Servings: 6 | Calories: 263 | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 46 mg | Sodium: 213 mg | Carbohydrates: 22 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 20 g
- 1 pound round steak, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (flavored oil is wonderful to use: basil, rosemary, or garlic-chile pepper)
- Kosher or sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 4 celery sticks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium, fat free
- 1 cup red wine (optional, non-alcoholic wine or grape juice)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
Rub the meat with oil, salt and pepper. Let it sit at room temperature while preparing the other vegetables.
Prepare all vegetables and add them to the slow cooker. Place round steak on top of veggies. Add the broth, wine, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and a little salt and pepper. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low 8 hours, or until the meat is fork tender. Recommend a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
This delicious, comfort food recipe was adapted for the slow cooker and submitted by guest contributor, Joanne from Apple Crumble. Joanne expresses her creativity through food…and it shows!