by Skinny Ms.
Made with 100% clean ingredients, our twist on classic spaghetti combines spicy homemade turkey sausage with whole wheat pasta and zesty sauce. Perfect for a cool fall or winter evening, this yummy recipe will leave your taste buds craving seconds, without the guilt!
Data using turkey sausage: Yields: 8 servings | Serving size: 1-1/4 cup | Calories: 372 | Previous Points: 8 | Points Plus: 9 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Cholesterol: 72 mg | Sodium: 175 mg | Carbohydrates: 38 g | Sugars: 9 g | Fiber: 6 g | Protein: 25 g
Data without turkey sausage: Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 289 | Previous Points: 6 | Points Plus: 7 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 | Cholesterol: 23 mg | Sodium: 142 mg | Carbohydrates: 38 g | Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 15 g
- 1 lb lean ground turkey sausage (see recipe below)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (no sugar added)
- 8 ounces (uncooked) 100% whole wheat spaghetti, about 2/3 of a 13.25 oz box, break into small pieces before adding to meat mixture
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped (fresh) basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher or sea Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Add all the sausage ingredients a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Cook ground turkey sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking into small pieces while cooking. Ensure the turkey loses its pink color before removing from heat. Drain, discard any fat and set aside. Combine meat with marinara.
In a medium bowl combine cooked turkey sausage with the remaining ingredients, add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 2 hours until cheese is bubbly. Add spaghetti and 3/4 cup of water, stir thoroughly and cook for an additional hour until the spaghetti is cooked through.
Serve and sprinkle with parmesan if desired.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.