This is a great stew to make when you don’t have time to cook. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and come home hours later to a comforting meal that is full of flavor. Tip: Any type of bean will work in this recipe. I use a 6½ quart slow cooker. If you have a smaller version of this appliance, simply cut the ingredients in half.
Carrie Forrest is a graduate student in public health nutrition and the author of the blog Carrie on Vegan. Through her writings, step-by-step photo guides and recipes, Carrie inspires readers to prepare plant-based recipes that are 100% delicious. Carrie firmly believes that superior health is achievable through nutritional excellence and specializes in whole-food, simple recipes that are low in added fats, sugars and salt. Find Carrie on Vegan on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 428 | Total Fat:3.4 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 344 mg | Carbohydrates: 78 g | Dietary Fiber: 20.1 g | Sugars: 11.1 g | Protein: 24.8 g | SmartPoints: 12 |
- 1½ cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans
- 1½ cups cooked or canned black beans|
- 1½ cups cooked or canned red kidney beans
- 2 onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 cups canned no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups canned no-salt added tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups full-fat canned coconut milk|
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 tesapoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, black beans, and kidney beans. Transfer to a 6½ quart slow cooker.
2. Chop onions and mince garlic.
3. Peel sweet potato and chop into large chunks.
4. Wash cauliflower and divide into florets.
5. Transfer onions, garlic, potato, and cauliflower to slow cooker.
6. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, allspice, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, ginger, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for 6 hours. Stir in coconut milk.
7. Just before serving, pull leaves from cilantro and chop. Cut limes into wedges.
8. Serve stew hot with cilantro and lime wedges.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.