11. Thaw your poultry or meat before adding it to the slow cooker.
12. Poultry and meat cook faster than vegetables. Therefore, put the vegetables first and the meat on top.
13. Prevent pasta from sticking to the slow cooker by cooking it according to the directions on the package and then adding it into the slow cooker before serving.
15. Putting less liquid in your recipe will prevent your meal from becoming too watery.
16. Alternatively, add whole wheat flour or corn starch to thicken your food. Use one tablespoon for a cup of cooking liquid to create a paste. Butter also works well for thickening a sauce. Add one tablespoon to a cup of the cooking liquid.
17. It’s easy to thicken soups or stews without flour or cornstarch. The last 15 minutes of cooking time, simply remove about 1 cup of the solids, (example: beans, veggies, meats etc.,) and mash with a fork or puree in a blender. Return to the slow cooker, stir and continue cooking until thick, about 15 minutes. The taste is phenomenal!
18. Seal in the moisture of your meat, chicken, and turkey by rubbing it with extra virgin olive oil and herbs before slow cooking. This is the secret to making SkinnyMs. extra moist slow cooked Pomegranate Chicken Breasts and Herb Crusted Turkey Breast .
19. Add dairy products such as milk and sour cream to the slow cooker during the last 10-15 minutes of your slow cooking.
20. Refrigerate the leftovers within two hours.
21. Do not use the slow cooker to reheat the leftovers to prevent food borne illness. Read more about slow cooker food safety https://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-food-safety.
Ready to slow cook? Top 10 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on Skinny Ms.