Is your metabolism a sad, pathetic mope? While we may not have complete control over some things that lower the rate at which we burn calories, we can control other factors that have an impact, like diet and exercise. Check out these practical strategies that will help you boost the calorie burn, shed the pounds and jumpstart a slowed down metabolism:
1. Build muscle. Your body burns calories all the time, even when you’re sitting down reading a SkinnyMs. article. Muscle tissue burns more calories to maintain itself than fat—up to 50 extra calories for each additional pound of muscle . Build the toned muscles that raise metabolism by adding weights to your workout. Try traditional weights, like dumbbells, or check out this Body Weight Workout, which helps you build muscle using nothing but your own body weight.
2. Work that bod. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is especially effective at raising metabolism, so that your body burns calories even after the workout is done. Get started with our Fat Blasting HIIT Workout. It boosts calorie burn for up to 24 hours!
3. Reach for fat-blasting foods. Avoid the foods that pump the body with too much sugar, sodium and preservatives. Instead, nourish yourself with the clean eating foods that make your body a lean, mean, fat-burning machine. Add these 10 Best Fat Blaster Foods to your grocery list this week.
4. Eat high protein foods. The body needs to do a lot of extra work to digest protein. Add protein-rich foods, like salmon, lean meat, or even the superfood quinoa, and force the body to burn more calories. Pump up the protein at dinner with this delicious Honey Dijon Salmon with a Hint of Lemon.
5. Spice it up. Spices, the kind that may be collecting dust in your pantry right now, can help weight loss by increasing metabolism. Healthy recipes containing spices like turmeric are a tasty way to boost the burn and add a zing of flavor. Check out more with these 9 Kitchen Spices You Need.
6. Eat small and eat frequently. Those long stretches between the typical three meals per day leads to hunger, and that makes the body think it’s starving, which causes your metabolism to slow down. Eating four to six smaller meals each day ensures that you’re nourishing the body before it goes into panic mode and starts storing fat. Lose weight by adding these 3 Seaweed Snacks.
7. Get your daily caffeine. This stimulant acts as a temporary metabolism booster, so feel free to enjoy about 200-300 milligrams per day (about two to four cups of coffee). Avoid soda and get your caffeine from unsweetened coffee or tea. Got a sweet tooth? No problem! Check out this Coffee Creamer with no refined sugar added, or add a touch of honey to tea.
Don’t let a mopey metabolism stop you from losing weight and feeling fabulous. Take action now to change how your body burns calories.
You might also like