Sometimes, when you are on that “no carb” diet or “all veggies” diet, it can seem impossible to find anything satisfying to eat. If that’s the case, then this is just the recipe you need. This Asian Vegetable Lettuce wrap is the perfect meal when you are trying to stick to that not-so-easy diet, but want to indulge in delicious takeout. The base of the wrap is sautéed vegetables, where you can take as much creative freedom as you need. With this dish, there’s no such thing as too many veggies! It’s easy, filling, and healthy enough to grab seconds.
To tie it all together, the recipe includes a homemade peanut sauce. It uses simple ingredients like peanut butter, soy sauce, red pepper flakes. Once, you’ve made the recipe, all it takes is putting each cup together and voila! You have yourself a delicious guilty-free, Asian Lettuce Wrap.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 3 wraps and 2 tablespoons of peanut sauce | Calories: 241 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 816mg | Carbohydrates: 28g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 14g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup shallots, sliced into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils, red or green
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 large lettuce leaves, such as bibb, butter, or iceberg
- 1 cup cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon shallot minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a medium skillet, heat sesame oil on medium heat. Once hot, add garlic, shallots, and ginger. Cook just until shallots begin to soften but are still slightly crunchy. Stir in lentils, vinegar, honey, peanut butter, and soy sauce. While stirring constantly, bring mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, remove from heat.
- Spoon 3 or 4 tablespoons of the lentil mixture into each lettuce cup. Top with cucumber, carrot, and cabbage. Sprinkle the green onion on top. Serve with a side of peanut sauce for drizzling or dipping.
- In a small sauce pan, heat sesame oil on medium heat. Add the minced shallot and ginger. Cook until shallot in translucent. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. If mixture is too thick, add additional water. Boil for one minute and remove from heat. Cool slightly and serve along side Asian vegetable lettuce wraps.
You might also like:
Do you have a favorite Asian-inspired recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below.