The blend of balsamic vinegar and buttermilk creates a pureness that intensifies the flavor of fruits and berries. It is an unexpected combination, but it combines to create the perfect healthy substitute for traditional high-fat ice cream. The kid in you will love the sweet taste of an “ice cream” treat, but your adult side will appreciate the sophisticated taste of this balsamic buttermilk sherbet.
Summer is scorching and what better way to beat the heat than a bowl of rich and creamy sherbet? This SkinnyLicious and refreshing recipe has only 111 calories and was created especially for the dog days of summer! Delicious sherbets are perfect for summer because they are just as cool and refreshing as ice cream, but they have fewer calories and less saturated fat. This buttermilk sherbet is so creamy and delicious, you will not even notice a difference.
If you are always on the lookout for low-calorie desserts that allow you to indulge without packing on the pounds, this recipe is it. You can enjoy a delicious frozen treat without a second thought of adding inches to your waistline.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 111 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 45 mg | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 20 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- 2 cups frozen strawberry slices
- 1 cup frozen mango cubes (cube fresh mango into 1" cubes or chunks before freezing)
- 2 frozen bananas, slice into 1/2” pieces before freezing
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (makes your ice cream ultra rich & creamy)
- 2 tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar (enhances the taste of the strawberries and mango)
- Add all the above ingredients to a food processor, or heavy duty blender like the vitamix, in order listed above. Pulse until blended and creamy. Hold onto the food processor until the fruit begins to blend. This process requires stopping and stirring a few times and may take 3-5 minutes to fully blend ingredients. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop out approximately three 1/3 cup servings per dish.
- Consider adding freshly diced strawberries as garnish. YUM, YUM!!!
- Serve sherbet immediately, recommended. Sherbet can be frozen if stored in an airtight, freezer proof container...although the consistency is creamiest immediately after making.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection ~ 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.