These little sandwiches are full on flavor while being an excellent source of niacin. The Creamy Cabbage and Bok Choy Slaw adds a nice touch while lending support to a strong immune system.
Caramelized Onion Sliders with BBQ Chicken
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts 3 fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce no sugar added
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sweet onion large, sliced into thin rings
- 4 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 8 whole-wheat buns or rolls small
- creamy cabbage & bok choy slaw optional (click for recipe)
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- Cut chicken fillets into 1/2-inch thick slices; cook in 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high heat until it loses its pink color and begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add barbecue sauce, reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking uncovered until chicken has soaked up most of the sauce. In the meantime, prepare onion and mushrooms.
- In a medium skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; turn heat to low. When oil is hot but not smoking, add onion, and cook until caramelized, approximately 15 minutes. Add mushrooms, and continue cooking until mushrooms release moisture and are tender, approximately 6 more minutes.
- Place slightly warmed buns or rolls on a prep space; evenly distribute chicken slices. Next, top chicken with onion and mushrooms. Top off sliders with Creamy Cabbage and Bok Choy Cole Slaw. Add salt to taste.