This cauliflower lasagna is the perfect way to use up that head of cauliflower that’s been sitting in the back of the fridge calling to you every time you open the refrigerator door. Eaten as is, or with marinara poured over the top, this is a great way to get your veggies!
Serving Size: 1/15 of entire recipe | Calories: 193 | Total Fat: 8 gm | Saturated Fats: 2 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 10 mg | Sodium: 178 mg | Carbohydrates: 27 gm | Dietary Fiber: 4 gm | Sugars: 8 gm | Protein: 4 gm | SmartPoints: 7 |
- 1 (12 oz.) package whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked to package directions
- 1 head raw cauliflower
- 1/4 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (we used white whole wheat flour)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff)
- Cook the pasta as directed. Once cooked, drain and refill pot with cold water. This will keep your noodles from sticking together.
- Saute the onion in 1 tbsp. olive oil over low to medium heat. When finished, add the second tablespoon of olive oil and quickly whisk in the flour.
- Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, being sure to dissolve any clumps from the flour with the whisk.
- Do not stop whisking because the flour burns in the pan very easily, even after the milk is added.
- Add the onion powder and then 1 cup of the cheese. You should have a relatively thick sauce at this point.
- Remove from heat.
- In a lightly oiled lasagna pan (ours was 9X13), place the first layer of noodles on the bottom.
- Add a layer of cauliflower, then mushrooms and then sauce. Repeat.
- Finish with noodles on top and then sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 1 hour to 1 - 1/2 hours, or until cauliflower is soft and cooked through.
- CAUTION! Because of the cauliflower, this lasagna retains it's heat in a big way. So allow ample time for it to cool down.
- NOTE: Just in case you make this and end up feeling like lasagna should really have red sauce, this is excellent with a little marinara over it too. Enjoy!