Want to look and feel “Va-Va-Voom”? Veggies are a smart addition to any weight loss plan. Not only are they high in the fiber, vitamins, and nutrients that nourish your body, they’re also low in calories. Use the vegetables below to build the better body you’re working toward.
Feel Va-Va-Voom with these 8 Veggies for Weight Loss:
1. Beans: These gems are waistline wonders, packed with slowly digesting fiber, which prevents spikes in blood sugar. Beans also have a super dose of the protein women’s bodies need to build strong, calorie-burning muscle. In one study, bean eaters weighed an average of 7lbs less than non-bean eaters—even though the people who ate beans consumed more calories overall . Learn more about why beans are good for your health here.
2. Sweet potatoes: If you want to get sweet on shedding pounds, use these as a replacement for starchy regular taters. One medium-sized sweet potato provides fiber, plus it offers about half the calories of a similar-sized white potato. Check out these Slow Cooker Savory Sweet Potatoes.
3. Cauliflower: Adding cauliflower to the menu is smart way to drop weight. It’s filling but comes in at a mere 26 calories per cup, so eating it can reduce your overall calorie count. It’s also made largely of water, so it hydrates your muscles. As a bonus, cauliflower is in season during colder months when other fresh veggies are less available or more expensive. Try these Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Bread Sticks (they’re gluten-free, too!)
4. Kale: This is one of our go-to green veggies at SkinnyMs. This superfood is loaded with high concentrations of the vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy and active. New to kale? Give it a go with this easy Skinny Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Kale Soup.
5. Brussels sprouts: It’s true that not everyone digs these veggies, but Brussels sprouts are something of a sleeper hit when it comes to weight loss. They’re low in calories and high in fiber. They also have more protein than many of their green counterparts. Haven’t tried them since you were a kid? Reintroduce your taste buds with this yummy recipe for Brussels Sprouts Smothered in White Sauce.
6. Spinach: Popeye may be old-school, but the guy knew his greens. Spinach is a weight-loss superstar that makes a low-cal addition to any menu. Whether you add it to a salad or a side dish, it delivers a Popeye-worthy dose of fiber- and vitamin-rich nutrition. Learn more about the health benefits of spinach here.
7. Broccoli: This fat-free darling is a filling food packed with fiber and water. Spruce up your appetizer menu with these healthy Broccoli Tarts.
8. Carrots: Make like a bunny and start munching on raw carrots. They’re high in fiber, plus they have plenty of vitamins A, C, and K. As a bonus, baby carrots are the perfect on-the-go healthy snack: stick them in lunch boxes or make a to-go bag for an errand packed day. Learn more about the health benefits of carrots here.
You deserve a healthy body—use these weight-loss friendly vegetables to help you achieve it.
 Beans: Protein-Rich Superfoods (WebMD)