When you’re eating healthy, pizza is one of those foods that’s incredibly hard to give up. Luckily, you don’t have to, thanks to our Pizza Stuffed Tomatoes! Since it’s a SkinnyMs. recipe, we’ve used turkey sausage and low-fat mozzarella, ditched the carby crust, and added plenty of herbs and spices for flavor. So, no matter your diet, you can enjoy this meal guilt-free!
Unlike traditional pizza, they’re relatively quick and easy to whip up, and will satisfy your pizza cravings in a healthy way. They also make great appetizers and reheat well for weekday lunches!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 stuffed tomato | Calories: 434 | Total Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 1081mg | Carbohydrates: 10g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 27g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 4 large tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup nitrate-free pepperoni, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup low-fat part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off tomatoes. Carefully scoop out insides of tomatoes, reserving in small bowl. Coat outside of tomatoes with two tablespoons of olive oil.
- In a skillet, heat remaining olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add garlic, onion, and green pepper. Sauté until soft. Add in ground turkey sausage and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Stir in reserved scooped tomato, pepperoni, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer and add in spinach, cook until wilted.
- Place tomatoes on cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Fill with turkey mix. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- NOTE: Extra filling can be reserved and frozen for another use.
Adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
Tell us what you thought! Leave a comment below!