Enjoy this ultra-nutritious, vegetarian dish alone, as a side to your favorite entree, or on top of your favorite salad. Quinoa Pilaf is a delicious and filling accompaniment to almost any menu item. This healthy quinoa recipe has a nutty flavor. It combines mushrooms, onions, and savory spices to create a delicious alternative to rice or potatoes. Plus, quinoa is the quintessential superfood that combines high amounts of protein and fiber with the right amount of omega-3 fatty acid to help the body ward off disease. Give your quinoa dishes some added color and flavor with dried cranberries, or serve them cold on a bed of fresh salad. There are plenty of delicious quinoa add-ins to try.
We love quinoa’s versatility. If you are looking to cut refined carbs, or you need to boost your protein without eating more meat, quinoa is the perfect option. Not only can you use it as the base for a variety of entrees, you can mix it into other dishes to bulk them up and make them more filling.
Love quinoa, but not sure how to prepare it? Learn how here.
Yields 4 Servings | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 262 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 86 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints: 8 |
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Quinoa, pre-rinse (white or red)
- 2 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large skillet sauce pan, add oil, turn to medium-low heat, add white mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic and celery to mushrooms and continue cooking until onion and celery are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add Quinoa, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt to taste, stir to combine. Add vegetable stock, stir and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
SkinnyMs. recently released a new Quinoa Recipe eBook with scrumptious dishes like, Enchiladas Verde, Asian Stir-Fry and even Apple Crumb Cake…all made with what might be the world’s most perfect food, Quinoa. Be sure to check it out here.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.