There’s nothing worse than feasting on a delicious home-cooked meal and then being met in the kitchen with the overwhelming pile of dishes that usually accompanies it. If dishwater hands have gotten you down, you’re going to love our Skillet Chicken and Quinoa Supper recipe. Made using just a single skillet, this flavorful recipe features chicken in a bed of quinoa and tomatoes, two of nature’s superfoods! This clean eating dish will not only satisfy, but will leave you with ample time to enjoy after dinner conversation.
You might also like our:
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 294 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 90 mg | Sodium: 145 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 30 g | SmartPoints: 7
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed (optional breast fillets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes in juice (recipe for Homemade Diced Tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, fat free, low sodium
- 1 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinse
- In a large non-stick skillet, add oil, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Add onion to skillet to skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.
- Return chicken to skillet and add the remaining ingredients. Cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through and quinoa is tender and absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes.