When cold weather hits, slow cooker dishes become a convenient way to cook up your favorite comfort foods. If you’re always looking for healthy slow cooker recipes this time of year, look no further! We’ve got one that your family will love. This recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Tips is a tasty classic that is good for you, too!
This recipe was brought to us by Amy’s Cooking Adventures. Amy is a stay at home mommy of two (soon to be three)! Amy’s Cooking Adventures is all about her journey to find healthy homemade foods the whole family can enjoy. As a busy mom, Amy loves slow cooker meals! This is one of her favorites because her kids eat it (yay!) and it reminds Amy of one of her favorite childhood meals. Beef tips are sure to please whether served over heart healthy brown rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes!
Yields: 5 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup beef tips and broth and ¾ cup brown rice |Calories: 370| Previous Points: 7 | Points Plus: 9 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 54 mg | Sodium: 430 mg | Carbohydrates: 44 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 28 g |
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut in strips, excess fat trimmed
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup dry red wine + splash for deglazing
- 2-½ cups fat free beef broth
- 2 tbsp corn starch + ¼ cup cold water, whisked together
- Place the onions and mushrooms into the bottom of a 4.5 quart slow cooker.
- Then, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Generously season the steak strips with salt and pepper and add them to the hot skillet, and sear the meat on all sides, about 3 minutes; do not cook through.
- Place the meat into the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- Splash a couple tablespoons of red wine into the hot skillet and scrape the bottom to remove any browned meat bits. Add these to the crock pot.
- Season the beef with pepper a second time and add the Worcestershire sauce, red wine, and beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Uncover and slowly whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture. Cover and cook on high for another 45 minutes or until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve the beef tips over brown rice (shown), buttered egg noodles, or mashed potatoes.
For more healthy slow cooker recipes, check out our list of 73 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below!