Love Greek takeout, but hate how greasy it can be? Homemade meat for gyros is surprisingly easy to make! You can prepare it in the slow cooker in just 15 minutes, and have hot slices of seasoned meat ready to pile onto pita bread by dinnertime!
Sometimes ground chicken is hard to find. Ask your local grocery store butcher to grind a package of chicken breast just as they would with ground beef. Most are more than happy to oblige. If ground chicken is not an option, use grassfed beef or lamb instead. Alternatively, you can use half of each, grassfed beef and lamb, and omit the chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros
- 1/2 onion small
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs plain
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 whole-wheat naan bread or pita bread rounds, 6 inch
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt low-fat, plain
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until pureed.
- In a large bowl, stir together onion puree, ground chicken, eggs, breadcrumbs, lemon (juice and zest), thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix together until well combined.
- Form into a large ball and place in a 4-quart crockpot which has been drizzled with olive oil. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.
- Unplug crockpot and remove lid 30 minutes before serving. This will allow the gyros to set and cut into nice slices.
- When ready to serve, remove meat from the slow cooker. Slice and serve on warmed pita bread topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, yogurt, and fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Enjoy!