This Chicken Stew is belly-warming, hearty, comfort food at its best. We start by browning the chicken in a stovetop slow cooker. If you don’t have a stovetop slow cooker, brown the chicken first in a skillet, and then add it to your slow cooker.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
Servings: 4 | Calories: 162 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Cholesterol: 35 mg | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sodium: 25 mg | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 16 g | SmartPoints: 4 |
- 1 cup flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup oil (recommend canola or unrefined coconut oil)
- 2.5 pounds chicken pieces(of choice) on the bone, skinless
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat free
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and sage on chicken, dredge in flour, shake off excess. Add oil to a skillet, turn to medium-high heat and lightly brown chicken on both sides, remove and place on a paper towel. Add onion to the same skillet and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute one additional minute.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, and celery to slow cooker. Place chicken on top, pour broth over chicken, add additional salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is falling off the bone. Add peas the last 15 minutes of cooking time.