Easy chicken recipes and chicken dishes help save time on bustling winter weekdays when everyone’s running out the door to work and school. The colder weather and the busy days work up quite an appetite, too. This zesty slow cooker chicken fajita recipe can simplify your daily routine and satisfy your hungry belly.
This recipe combines lean chicken breast tossed with salsa, chopped onions and peppers, and a sprinkling of a few spices all placed in the slow cooker. It’s a recipe that can be prepared in 5 to 10 minutes, and then left to simmer all day in the slow cooker until the chicken is tender and infused with Mexican flavor.
Lastly, the recipe calls for warm tortillas. Here are some easy ways to warm tortillas:
Microwave method: Place 6 or fewer tortillas on a plate covered with a damp paper towel or 2 and heat for 30 seconds. Check the tortillas and heat for an additional 30 seconds if not warm. Repeat with the second batch. This creates a warm tortilla with some moistness or chewiness to it.
Oven method: Wrap all of the tortillas in aluminum foil, and place directly on the wrack or on a baking sheet, and heat at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Stove top method: Heat dry tortillas directly over the flame, flipping with tongs, OR heat tortillas in a dry pan over medium heat, flipping halfway through. The stovetop cooked tortilla has a little bit of smoky char to it, and is the method most often used to reheat tortillas for serving in Mexico, where tortillas are covered and placed on the table, to be eaten warm with every meal.
When eating tortillas, do as the Mexicans do. To keep tortillas warm, wrap them in a clean kitchen towel, or keep in a tortilla warmer, or in a basket or bowl, covered, taking one as needed and replacing the cover during the meal. Tortillas for fajitas are much better when they are warm!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 2 fajitas | Calories: 357 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 173 mg | Carbohydrates: 40 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 31 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup salsa of choice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole white onion, peeled, halved and sliced into strips
- 3 bell peppers: red, green, or yellow or a mix of any of the 3, seeded, cored, and cut into strips
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 6 tablespoons nonfat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons guacamole
- In a large bowl, toss all of the ingredients together, until the chicken breasts are well coated. Pour into the crockpot and heat on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables have softened.
- Serve on warmed tortillas and top with nonfat or low fat Greek-style yogurt or nonfat sour cream, and with guacamole if desired.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.