This slow cooker stuffed peppers recipe is loaded with healthy ingredients, like corn kernels, black beans, ground turkey, and brown rice. Taco seasoning gives these peppers that southwestern flavor and mild spiciness. Consider serving stuffed peppers with a side salad such as a Panzanella Salad with Arugula, or with a healthy bread like our Gluten- Free, Grain- Free Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks.
Ever wonder about the health benefits of bell peppers? You can find out here.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper | Calories: 227 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 65 mg | Sodium: 443 mg | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 6 bell peppers (any colors), tops removed and seeded*
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat, uncooked
- 1 cup cooked long grain brown rice
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals, thawed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning or other low sodium MSG- free taco seasoning mix, OR 1 tablespoon chili powder mixed 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup water
- Prepare the peppers by cutting off the tops (they will be placed back on to cook) and carefully remove the seeds and any white pith inside, keeping the peppers intact.
- To prepare the filling, mix together the taco seasoning and all of the ingredients, except the peppers and water, until well combined.
- Stuff each pepper with this seasoned ground meat and rice. Place the peppers together, standing up in the slow cooker. Place the tops back on each pepper.
- Pour 1/3 cup water on the base of the peppers. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers can be topped with cheese if desired. Add it during the last hour of cooking, so that it will melt. They can also be topped with non-fat sour cream or low fat Greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, and chopped scallions just prior to serving.
- NOTE: This recipe is delicious paired with a simple side salad of baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, diced carrots and 1 chopped apple. Drizzle salad with White Balsamic and Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.