Don’t wait until the holiday season to enjoy sweet potatoes; try this delicious slow cooker sweet potato soup recipe to get a head start. Super easy to prepare, and with the right combination of sweet, spicy, and savory, this sweet potato soup recipe is guilt-free, full of nutrients, and and will satisfy your taste buds like nothing else.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size:1/2 cup|Calories: 282| Total Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 25 mg | Sodium: 223 mg | Carbohydrates: 26g | Dietary Fiber: 4g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sliced jalapeños, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, jalapeño, and garlic, and cook until soft. Stir in the seasonings, and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and stock to the slow cooker pot, and turn on to low. Cover and cook for about 4 hours, until potatoes are tender. Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Add back to the pot and stir in the sour cream. Serve the soup garnished with the cheese and additional jalapeños, if desired.