This slow cooker recipe, for turkey and cabbage rolls, is simple and yummy. We’ve replaced the traditional beef in cabbage rolls with lean ground turkey, cutting down on fat and calories without sacrificing protein and flavor!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 2 cabbage rolls | Calories: 218 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 93 mg | Sodium: 201 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 12 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints: 7 |
- 12 leaves cabbage
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- 1 pound raw, lean ground turkey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil cabbage leaves for 2 minutes. Whisk together tomato sauce, honey, spices, lemon juice, ketchup, the salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, garlic, and ground turkey. Add in 1/4 of the sauce and combine well.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the gound turkey mix into the center of each cabbage roll. Roll up the leaves, tucking in the ends. Top with tomato sauce and cover.
- Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
You might also like our list of 73 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes.