With only the richest of piquant flavors, this Slow Cooker Thick & Chunky Beef Stew will make you feel like the queen at a medieval feast. Slow cooking is the only way to craft a proper stew with hearty and healthy ingredients. Once steeped in their natural juices, these meats and veggies will leave your household beyond stuffed and satisfied.
How to attain the riches you seek? Pat down your beef cubes, rub them with salt and pepper, roll them in flour, and arrange them in a pot and brown. Add meat to the slow cooker, pour in the wine, peppers, potatoes, carrots, onions, bay leaves, celery, garlic, and thyme. Allow the slow cooker to simmer the stew to aromatic perfection. Once finished, garnish with parsley. Let the feasting commence!
Servings: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 317 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 629mg | Carbohydrates: 29g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 23g | SmartPoints: 9
- 1 pound lean chuck beef, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into slices
- 3 large carrots, sliced into thick rounds
- 1/2 cup shelled snap peas
- 2 medium potatoes of any variety, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup beef broth, optional red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped flat parsley, (optional for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional, but helps to thicken up the stew)
- Coat the beef with the flour. Over medium heat, in a skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the beef then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients, except parsley, to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or when beef is very tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
What’s cooking? Leave us a comment about this article or anything else you’d like to see on SkinnyMs. We’re happy to receive your feedback.