Southwest Sweet Potato Hash
This nutritious breakfast is sweet and spicy to help you start your day with a kick!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup red onion diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 avocado peel and pit removed, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 large eggs poached (to make the perfect poached egg, check out our How to Make Perfect Poached Eggs recipe)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Combine the sweet potato, half the olive oil, half the salt, half the red pepper, half cumin, and half the chili powder. Mix well and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the red bell pepper and red onion with the remaining salt, red pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Once the potatoes have baked for 15 minutes, add the onion and bell pepper mixture to the sheet pan stirring to combine with the potatoes. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and begin to brown.
Stir in the avocado and fresh cilantro, spoon into serving bowls with the poached egg on top. Serve hot.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 1337mg | Potassium: 1170mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 18973IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 3mg