Casseroles are a great way to use tons of ingredients that you might not have thought possible. Here’s another casserole to add to your recipe book. This zucchini pizza casserole is a very innovative and fun way to combine tons of flavors. This dish tastes great when it’s hot, but feel free to freeze it and save for later! So delicious, and even more convenient. Plus, it’s a little healthier than traditional pizza. So you can feel good about feeding it to your kids or scarfing it down yourself.
You might be wondering how you can have a pizza casserole, but in fact, it’s pretty simple. The cheese, turkey pepperoni, olives, and marinara sauce are all key ingredients of a pizza and can be found in this recipe. Throw in some zucchini and bell peppers along with ground turkey adds some texture to the casserole. The preparation itself is pretty straightforward! All of the ingredients are cooked slightly prior to being placed in a baking dish at which time they all go straight into the oven. The dish is baked twice for 20 minutes, first with half the casserole and the second time with the rest of the ingredients. It’s perfect when the cheese is bubbling and the color is golden brown. Enjoy!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: about 1 cup | Calories: 438 | Total Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 1082mg | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 29g | SmartPoints: 15
- 4 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup low fat grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can no sugar added marinara sauce
- 1 cup nitrate free turkey pepperoni
- 1/4 cup low sodium black olives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place zucchini and colander and sprinkle with salt. Let set for about 5 minutes and press out as much water as possible. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Combine zucchini, egg whites, Parmesan, and 1 cup of the mozzarella. Mix will and press into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown. Once cooked, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large sauce pan, cook the ground turkey until no pink remains. Drain any excess liquid. Add the olive oil to the turkey and heat on medium. Combine onion and green pepper and add to the hot oil and turkey. Cook until soft. Add the marinara and combine well. Spread the mix on top of the cooked zucchini. Top with remaining mozzarella, pepperoni, and olives. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is light brown and bubbly.
- To Freeze: Prepare and cook casserole as indicated above. Cool completely and cover well. with plastic wrap followed by foil. When ready to use, remove from freeze and thaw partially in refrigerator. Bake at 350 degrees until temperature reaches 165, about 30 to 45 minutes.