Below are 10 tips on how to avoid overeating:
▪ Do not eat in front of the television or computer.
▪ Think about chewing your food as you eat.
▪ Chew your food until it is mush.
▪ Eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks each day.
▪ Eat about every 3-4 hours.
▪ Plan meals a week in advance.
▪ Use salad size plates (skinny plates) rather than traditional dinner plates.
▪ Prepare cut up veggies, refrigerate and have on hand for a quick snack.
▪ Always take a shopping list to the grocery–and stick to it.
▪ Grocery shop soon after eating a meal or snack rather than when hungry.
▪ Shop primarily the outside perimeters (most highly processed foods are located on the inside grocery aisles whereas whole foods are on the outside, i.e. fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, eggs, etc.; some exceptions are: legumes, whole grains and oils.
Click here for examples of foods to avoid and foods to include when creating your meal plan.
Tips on eating less without feeling hungry video: