No need for takeout with a delicious and tender recipe like this!
Craving Chinese takeout but don’t want to ruin your low-carb diet plan? Try out our restaurant-worthy General Tso’s Chicken. It’s low in carbs but high in flavor! Packed with tasty and nutritious ingredients, this Asian chicken dish is so easy to make, even on busy weeknights. So, check out this healthy recipe instead of pulling out the takeout menus!
A Restaurant Favorite Brought Home
Get all of the amazing takeout flavors in your own kitchen with this Low Carb Asian Chicken. Here at Skinny Ms., we’re known for taking popular restaurant recipes and placing a healthy, more nutrient-dense spin on them. This Low Carb General Tso’s Chicken does just that! Recipes like this help you to stick to your diet, and they also allow you to continue eating the dishes that you love most!
A Classic and Low Carb Creation
If you’re on a low-carb diet, you are probably missing some of your favorite foods. That’s why recipes like this General Tso’s Chicken are so great! There’s no added sugar or high carb ingredients. Instead, this recipe is packed with protein and fat to give you the fuel you need. Try this sweet and tangy Asian chicken and broccoli over cauliflower rice or in a lettuce wrap to pull the meal together while keeping the whole dish low carb.
How to Make our Low Carb General Tso’s Chicken
This low-carb dish is easy to make, perfect for meal prepping, and loved by all!
First, you’ll want to start working on the sauce. All you need to do is combine all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to low, stirring for 5 to 10 minutes. Once thickened, remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool. You can do this ahead of time, or you can begin the other steps while the sauce is simmering.
Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil on a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for one minute. Next add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about eight minutes, or until browned. Add broccoli for another three minutes before pouring the teriyaki sauce over top. Let the chicken simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and top with green onions.
This recipe contains 24 grams of protein, 29 grams of fat, and only 15 carbs, making sure you hit your macronutrient goals. You can enjoy the chicken and broccoli on their own, or you can also serve it over brown rice or cauliflower rice.
Low Carb General Tso’s Chicken
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound chicken thigh boneless, skinless, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 broccoli head cut in florets
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
Low Carb General Tsos' Sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low carb sweetener monk fruit extract, stevia, etc
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low, stirring for 5-10 minutes.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil on a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Next add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 8 minutes or until browned.
- Add broccoli and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Pour General Tso's sauce over top and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with green onions.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms