If you’ve been looking for a nutritious and healthy Tex-Mex inspired soup, look no further! Our Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup has wholesome ingredients like corn, black beans, lime juice, tomatoes, and chicken breasts. Plus, it has just a fraction of the salt and calories of most Tex Mex dishes. Instead of sacrificing flavor to cut fat, we choose to swap in different ingredients to add depth, like tomatillos, poblano peppers, and cilantro.
So get ready to add this recipe to your arsenal of awesome slow cooker stews and soups. We guarantee you’re going to love it!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 431mg | Carbohydrates: 43g | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 10g | Protein: 21g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced or crushed tomatillos
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat-free (use more broth for a thinner soup)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 chicken breasts fillets, skinless, cut into 1-2” cubes (no need to pre-cook)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Add all ingredients except cilantro to the slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
- Add chopped cilantro as a garnish.