This sweet and zesty treat will make your summer bright and fruity!
Bright and fruity, this strawberry and orange rhubarb crumble is the perfect crispy dessert for spring or summer. Packed with delicious and healthy ingredients, this nutrient-dense treat will satisfy your sweet tooth while giving you a good dose of antioxidants and fiber. And just wait until you smell it baking!
A Bright and Fruity Finish
Sweet strawberries and zingy orange juice brings brilliant and fruity flavors to this dessert, making it a perfectly light finish to any warm weather meal. It’s also super colorful from the berries and rhubarb, and adds a bright and beautiful touch to your spread. Try it as a sweet finishing touch after some of our best summer dinner recipes.
A Tasty and Healthy Dessert
Not only is this recipe gorgeous and tasty, but it is also packed with many healthy nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Ingredients like rolled oats, strawberries, and rhubarb are all complex carbohydrates that give you a good amount of fiber for better digestion and improved heart health. The fruit and vegetable components of this dish offer vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which all support a healthy immune system.
Ruby Red Rhubarb
Rhubarb is a unique vegetable that is often found in sweet dishes, such as tarts, pies, and crumbles. This is due to to it’s tart flavoring, which perfectly balances out overly sweet flavors. Rhubarb is not only a good flavor enhancer, but it is also an excellent source of antioxidants and fiber. Research shows the vitamins and other nutrients in rhubarb can help protect you from some health-related issues like cancer, heart disease, and even diabetes.
Create This Summertime Crumble
Bake this delicious strawberry and orange rhubarb crumble to impress you guests! Start by getting your oven hot and ready at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a 9×13 baking dish. Top them with your brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla, and cornstarch. Mix these ingredients well and then flatten out the mixture into an even layer. Cook the crumble for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the fruit has softened (but isn’t mushy).
While the fruit mixture is cooking, make the topping by adding the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Mix these ingredients together until they are well combined, and then add the melted coconut oil and toss the topping mixture until clumps form.
Once the fruit mixture is done baking, top it with an even layer of the topping. Then, bake for another 20 minutes or until the fruit mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden. Let it cool and set for about 10 minutes before serving, then enjoy!
Looking to splurge a little more? Try topping this strawberry and orange rhubarb crumble with ice cream, vanilla yogurt, or whipped cream! Be sure to let us know how you served this sweet dessert and what you thought of it in the comment section, below!
Strawberry and Orange Rhubarb Crumble
- 1 pound strawberries frozen is best but fresh can also be used
- 1 pound rhubarb fresh, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a 9×13 baking dish, then top with brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla, and cornstarch. Mix them well, then make sure to disperse in an even layer.
- Cook the fruit mixture for 25-30 minutes or until the fruit has softened but isn’t mushy.
- While the fruit mixture is cooking, make the topping by adding the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Mix them together well, then add the melted coconut oil and toss until clumps form.
- Once the fruit mixture is done, top it with an even layer of the topping.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until the fruit mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden.
- Let it cool and set for at least 10 minutes before serving, then enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms