After a day of commuting, meetings, and afterschool activities, sometimes you just want to head home to your favorite spot, and just relax. A good book, a favorite show, or even a nice bubble bath can all be enhanced with some additional aromatherapy. Essential oils are an amazing addition to any space you occupy. From your home, office, or car, having the right oils on hand can enhance every experience.
We’ve compiled 12 of our favorite essential oils, giving you a quick guide so that you can have the right essential oils on standby.
Please Note: Essential oils can be applied on the skin, however, they should be diluted in cold pressed or vegetable oils, known as carrier oils, such as olive oil, canola oil, or peanut oil.
Prior to using any of these mixes, test your sensitivity. Combine one drop of essential oil with 1/2 tsp carrier oil. Rub on the inside of your upper arm and wait a few hours. If redness or itching ensues, you should avoid usage.
If pregnant, please review these guidelines as a precaution.
1. Bergamot – As we age, our joints begin to cause us problems. Applying a mix of 1 drop oil and 1 teaspoon carrier oil onto your joints and lightly massaging them can help loosen your joints and relieve pain.
2. Cinnamon Bark – Instead of putting alcohol on a cut to fight infection, use a mixture of 1 drop of oil and 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. All natural and no burn. Cinnamon bark is also great at increasing the libido.
3. Eucalyptus – Great for congestion issues. You can boil 1 quart of water, allow it to cool, and after adding 4-5 drops of the oil, lean your head over and inhale the vapor to help with decongestion.
4. Clove-Bud – Mouth sores and toothaches can put us in a sour mood. Clove-bud can help bring relief. Add one drop of oil into 1 cup of water, grab a cotton swab, submerge in the mixture, and apply directly to the problem area.
5. Grapefruit – Sugar cravings come without warning, and as much as we want to stay on target with our fitness plans, we sometimes cave. Next time a craving hits you, mix 1 drop of oil in 1 teaspoon of a carrier oil, rub thoroughly on your hands and inhale for 5-10 minutes. This will help to fight your craving and indirectly help you with weight loss.
6. Jasmine – If you find yourself in a rut, jasmine can help give you an emotional boost. Add 4 drops of oil into 1 ounce of carrier oil and rub thoroughly on your shoulders. The constant aroma circulating you will have you feeling better in no time.
7. Lavender – Stress is an everyday enemy and lavender is perfect for helping to relieve tension. Once your day is done, head home, run a hot bath and drop 5-6 drops and submerge your body in the mixture. Additionally, the bath is great for burns and bug bites.
8. Lemon – Some of our favorite household items are lemon-scented, and we all feel that boost of energy when we inhale the vapor while cleaning. You can add a few drops of lemon oil in random places throughout your home to give you an upbeat feeling in any room.
9. Lemongrass – Feeling mentally exhausted from all of your responsibilities? Lemongrass has the ability to bring mental clarity. You can either inhale lightly from an open bottle, or mix 1 drop with 1 teaspoon, massage into your hand, and inhale the mix for 5 minutes to feel your mind reawaken.
10. Peppermint – Too much noise around you? Dilute two drops into 1 teaspoon of a carrier oil and massage gently into your forehead.
11. Spearmint – Just finished a vigorous workout and want a quick fix to get rid of the soreness? Mix 2 drops into 1 teaspoon of carrier roil and massage the muscle 2-3 times a day.
12. Tea Tree – Acne can be a never ending problem for some. Tea tree’s antibacterial properties can help minimize the bacteria which cause acne. After cleansing your face, mix 5 drops of oil into 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and gently apply to your face.
Sources: NAHA, AromaWeb, RealSimple
Looking for a great introduction to essential oils? The Fabulous Frannie Starter Gift Pack has a great mmix of essential oils to get you started on your journey.