Don't let your kitty nibble on these common household plants!
Houseplants are a simple and surefire way to make any room more cozy. Bit did you know that many of your favorite garden staples are actually toxic plants for cats? If your household includes a roommate of the feline variety, steer clear of these ten toxic house plants for cats.
The bulbs of this bright yellow flower are the most dangerous part, and can cause vomiting and diarrhea when eaten. If a cat eats a large amount of daffodil, they may experience convulsions or cardiac arrhythmias.
Azalea grows like wildfire throughout the Southeastern United States, but despite its beautiful pink and purple colors, it can be toxic to cats if ingested. Just a few petals can cause serious problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, coma and even death.
Calla Lily, also called Trumpet Lily, can cause severe irritation of a cat’s mouth, tongue and lips. Symptoms include excessive drooling and difficulty swallowing.
Sometimes called a sago palm, the fern palm is very dangerous for cats and other animals to eat. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea, both of which may contain blood, jaundice, liver failure and even death. Just one or two seeds can be fatal.
Many of us keep this medicinal plant on hand to treat burns, but the same chemicals that make it so soothing are also toxic to cats. A dramatic change in urine color is a sure sign your cat has ingested aloe.
This common potted plant can make cats sick and also cause them to avoid eating. Depression and skin irritation are also symptoms of eating geraniums.
Known for its bright red leaves, the poinsettia contains sap that can be toxic when ingested. Though not usually fatal, eating this plant can sometimes cause oral irritation and vomiting. It’s worthwhile to note that other common holiday plants, including holly and mistletoe, are also toxic to cats.
The plant so many of us humans love for its soothing properties has the opposite effect on cats. When ingested, the chamomile plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and allergic reactions. Long term exposure can have more serious side effects like bleeding.
Though it makes a lovely decorative plant, fiddle leaf can cause intense burning of a kitty’s mouth and difficulty swallowing if she gets curious and takes a bite.
These highly colorful flowers and their seeds can cause cats to vomit, hallucinate and experience tremors.