Power up with Pomegranates.
You’ve probably heard the recent buzz about this delicious and exotic fruit. Recent research has shown that pomegranate seeds, juices, and extracts can have some pretty amazing health benefits. Discover tasty ways to add this superfood to your meal plan with some of our best pomegranate recipes, and learn more about the health benefits of this healthful food below.
You’ll love these POMEGRANATE RECIPES:
Slow Cooker Pomegranate Spiced Applesauce
Pomegranate Unbaked Fudge Cookies
Pomegranate Banana Ginger Blast
Slow Cooker Pomegranate Chicken Breasts
Sparkling Pomegranate Juice
4 WAYS POMEGRANATES ARE POWERFUL FOR YOUR HEALTH
1. Pomegranates are Great for the Heart
Pomegranates are rich in polyphenols, or plant compounds that are instrumental in reducing the inflammation associated with heart disease. Polyphenols reduce the thickness of arterial walls, allowing blood to pass through easily. Diets that include polyphenols, like those found in pomegranates, help to prevent a number of inflammation-caused diseases, including heart disease, stroke, and certain cancers.
2. Pomegranates Lower Blood Pressure
Recent studies have shown that a daily dose of pomegranate juice can significantly reduce systolic blood pressure, reducing the risk of stroke.
3. Pomegranates May Kill Unhealthy Bacteria
A new study has shown that pomegranate extracts may be helpful in killing several different harmful bacteria strains, including E. coli and Staphylococcus.
4. Pomegranates Help Build Strong Bones
As we age, our bone density can decrease to unhealthy numbers if we’re not careful. Pomegranates can help keep bones strong because they contain estrogen from the seeds of the fruit.
How to Open a Pomegranate without a Mess
Pomegranates can be messy, and if we’re not careful their juices can stain. Thankfully, there’s a way to open and enjoy a pomegranate without the mess. Follow these steps:
1. Fill a large bowl with water.
2. Use a sharp knife to slice an x into the top of the pomegranate.
3. Place the pomegranate in the water and use your fingers to pry into the x.
4. Pull the pomegranate wedges apart under the water and gently remove the white membrane.
5. The seeds will sink to the bottom and the membrane will float. Skim the membrane off the top, drain the water, and enjoy your pomegranate!