Baking soda is an all natural way to handle common pet issues.
Baking soda has more uses than simply deodorizing your fridge. As a non-toxic and eco-friendly product, baking soda is perfect to utilize in your pet’s daily life. We’ve compiled 7 great baking soda uses for your pet that are inexpensive and chemical free.
1. Deodorize – Pets can naturally leave odors everywhere they rest, especially their beds and your carpet. Once you start noticing a build up, sprinkle the affected area with baking soda. Let it settle for 15-20 minutes and remove any excess with a vacuum.
2. Brush teeth – Keep your pet’s teeth and gums clean with a little baking soda. Dip a moist, soft bristle toothbrush into some baking soda and begin to brush your pet’s teeth.
3. Nail Trimming Relief – If you’ve ever tried trimming you’re pet’s nails and accidentally cut too low, you can draw blood. Placing baking soda on the cut can help with healing.
4. Birdcage – Birds can leave a huge mess on the bottom of their cages. Lightly apply baking soda on the bottom and scrub with a damp sponge for an all natural clean.
5. Aquarium – If you have an aquarium, having the proper pH level is important in providing your fish with clean and balanced water to swim in. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 cup of dechlorinated water into the tank gradually over the course of a few hours to help balance the water.
6. Sting Relief – If your pet plays outside, chances are they’ll get bug bites. If your pet gets stung or bit, apply a paste of baking soda and water onto the area to help soothe.
7. Scent Removal – If your pet’s fur ever picks up a bad odor, use this mixture to help de-funk them immediately. Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda, 1 qt of hydrogen peroxide and 1 teaspoon of dish detergent in a small container. Once your dog is in the shower, use the mixture to help improve their odor. Afterward, use a shampoo to help moisturize their fur. Try our DIY Pet Shampoo.