Looking for a quick and easy homemade basil pesto recipe? SkinnyMs. to the rescue! Our pecan version will have your pesto dish ready in a jiffy and unique to boot. All you need are six simple ingredients: basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, pecans, olive oil, and salt. Seriously, that’s it! Then add about 15 minutes, a food processor, your oven, and a jar, and you are good to go. Or, actually, you’re good to pesto.
Basil, garlic, and parmesan are three classic ingredients that are a tried and true combination for good reason. Their flavors compliment one another perfectly, with minty, herbal basil freshening up the intense, savory flavors of garlic and parmesan. But this pesto will throw you a curveball by substituting the traditional pine nuts with pecans instead! It’s a Southern twist on an Italian classic that will make your pesto a standout.
Once you’re done making your pesto, you can store this homemade recipe in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. Your weekday meal can now go instantly from blah to rah! A little pasta topped with a dollop of our inventive SkinnyMs. basil pesto recipe, and you’ve got a gourmet pesto dish to replace your usual Chinese take-out. And did you know that basil is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin C, and even iron? Well, it is. Go on, give it a whirl!
Basil Pesto with Roasted Pecans
- 2 cups basil packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Roast pecans for 12 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Add basil to food processor or blender and pulse until finely diced. Add garlic, parmesan, salt, pepper, and pecans. Pulse until well combined. Pour in oil, pulse until incorporated. Store in a glass jar. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir pesto before serving.
Stay informed about new recipes, workouts, and other healthy lifestyle topics by subscribing to our newsletter. Join our fun and thriving community on our Facebook page and check out our Pinterest, too!
Have some feedback for us? Let us know what you think of this post in the comments section below. Don’t forget to let us know what you’d like to read about in the future!