Stir-frys are a no-brainer on busy weeknights. With basic ingredients and easy instructions, the dependable dish always turns out delicious, even if you’re no pro in the kitchen. This healthy chicken stir-fry is no exception! Yummy veggies like carrot slices, broccoli florets, and chewy corn kernels cook in a delectable mixture of garlic and sesame oil until crisp-tender.
Protein-packed chicken pieces dressed in teriyaki sauce are accompanied by long-grain brown rice. The contrast between nutty rice, tender meat, and bold veggies offers a spectrum of flavors and textures to keep your taste buds stimulated. The chicken, veggies, and grains make up a wholesome distribution of protein, fiber, and carbs to keep you full and focused!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 352 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 713mg | Carbohydrates: 41g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 24g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9 |
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 3-inch ginger root, cut into slices, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 heaping cup small florets broccoli
- 1 cup peeled carrot slices
- 1 cup frozen (or freshly cut from the cob) corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cup green beans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup clean eating teriyaki sauce, homemade or store bought
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring stock or water with rice and half of the ginger root slices to a boil, uncovered. Cover and lower heat to the lowest setting. Cook for about 35 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet or wok, add 1 tablespoon canola/coconut oil and heat. Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add remaining canola/coconut oil and heat. Add veggies and remaining ginger slices. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 3 tablespoons water, cover, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until veggies are crisp-tender. Add garlic and sesame oil. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add chicken, teriyaki sauce, and rice back to pan. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until hot all the way through. Remove ginger slices before serving. Enjoy!
Loved the recipe? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers. Leave a comment below.