What is the first thing you think of when you hear the words Chicken Pot Pie? Do you imagine creamy filling, fried pastry, and tons of calories? We’ve taken the rich, filling, fattening ingredients out of the traditional pot pie, and we’ve replaced your favorite comfort food’s components with healthy, clean eating ingredients. But when you dig into this savory pie, you won’t find yourself wishing for something heavier. This healthy pot pie recipe maintains a perfect balance of flaky crust and flavorful filling, without weighing you down!
Start with whole wheat pie crusts or puff pastry. Made with the whole, complex carbohydrates in whole wheat that retain their original fiber and nutrients, this will give you a crust that’s just as flaky and delectable as traditional recipes, but with far more goodness per forkful. You’ll then make your sauce, but this isn’t a sauce packed with butter and heavy cream. We whisk flour into onions and celery softened with olive oil, then add milk and a cup of chicken stock with flavoring herbs.
Add your sauce, chicken and veggies to the pie, and bake! We like to use carrots, corn, and peas, but if you’d like to get creative with broccoli, cauliflower, or sweet potato, go for it. Just be sure to tell us how your experiment turns out! We use lean chicken breast, for a dish that combines savory veggies with lean protein for a comfort food dish that’s low on guilt and high on taste.
*makes 6 individual pies or 1 large pie Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cup-sized serving | Calories: 266 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 55 mg | Sodium: 172 mg | Carbohydrates: 16.5 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints: 9
- 1 (9") store-bought frozen & thawed whole wheat pie crusts or puff pastry
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (mix of carrots, corn, and peas)
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped into small pieces or shredded (can use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Add the onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Pour in the flour, whisking constantly, and toast until a golden paste is formed, called a roux. Add the milk, pouring in a steady slow stream, whisking all the while. A thick sauce should form. Whisk in the paprika, thyme, salt and pepper, and the chicken broth. Remove from the heat. Stir in the frozen vegetables and chicken.
- Oil the dishes and add the filling. Cover the pie with the pie crust. If serving in individual ramekins, use the container upside down to cut a circle in the pie crust. Seal the edges by crimping with a fork or your fingers. cut off any excess crust around the edges. With a paring knife, slice a few small slits in the middle, top crust of each pie. Brush the top of the crust and edges with the beaten egg, and salt and pepper the crust.
- Cook for 30- 40 minutes. Pie is done when filling is bubbling from the top and the crust is a golden brown.
Stay informed about new recipes, workouts, and other healthy lifestyle topics by subscribing to our newsletter. Join our fun and thriving community on our Facebook page and check out our Pinterest, too!
Have some feedback for us? Let us know what you think of this post in the comments section below. Don’t forget to let us know what you’d like to read about in the future!