Whether you’ve been skipping breakfast to shave a few calories or you think you’re too busy to eat, the fact is you’re depriving yourself of the day’s gotta-have meal. Here are the top reasons to make a healthy breakfast a non-negotiable part of the daily routine:
1. You’ll be leaner. Studies consistently show that people who eat breakfast weigh less than those who skip it. Why? A high-fiber, high-protein breakfast helps you feel fuller, which means you’re less likely to reach for an unhealthy mid-morning snack or overindulge at lunch.
2. You’ll feel more energized. A healthful morning meal replenishes the body after its nightlong fast, giving it the energy it needs to get moving—it’s like putting gas into a car running on empty. Have your tried our Pumpkin French Toast?
3. You’ll get essential nutrients. Traditional breakfast ingredients provide many of the nutrients we might not consume at lunch or dinner. For example, the Pomegranate Banana Ginger Blast Smoothie uses Greek yogurt (packed with good bacteria to boost intestinal health) and bananas (loaded with potassium for good muscle function).
4. You’ll boost your immune system. Antioxidants found in breakfast foods like pomegranates fight off free radicals, which are rogue cells that damage the body and cause diseases like cancer.
5. You’ll protect your heart. Every 90 seconds a woman suffers a heart attack in the U.S. Breakfast is one important tool for protecting heart health. Studies suggest that people who eat breakfast tend to consume less fat and cholesterol than those who skip it. Oatmeal is one of the top heart-healthy foods. Try our Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal or Chocolate Oatmeal with Egg Whites.
Need to jumpstart your breakfast menu? Try our 7 Power Breakfasts.