Everyone loves going out to restaurants. Restaurant food is delicious, but loaded with calories, saturated fat, and sugar. Yes, restaurant food is packed with hidden fats and is full of calories. If you are having trouble sticking to your diet when you are eating at your favorite restaurant, you may definitely end up ruining your diet. You have to certainly identify and recognize the potential dangers of eating away from home and stay on a healthy diet even when eating out. Remember, it is possible to eat healthy restaurant food and also focus on your diet.
By adhering to the following tips you can be ensured that you will stay well within the healthy diet limit:
1. Research online: Some restaurants post their menus along with the calorie count online. Decide what you are going to eat and stick to it strictly and do not be tempted by the mouth-watering descriptions. This ensures that you stay well within your calorie budget.
2. Right choice of restaurant: It is very important that you make healthy choices when you intend to go out and eat. This helps you to stick to a calorie controlled diet. It also ensures that you eat right and stay on track with your healthy eating plan. It is generally advisable to opt for a familiar restaurant.
3. Look for steamed or grilled or baked items: Watch out for unhealthy foods on the menu and choose fish, meat or vegetables that are either baked, steamed, grilled, stir fried or poached as these are the methods of healthy cooking. These food items contain fewer calories than the fried ones or those liberally slathered with rich sauce.
4. Skip the fried items: It is best to totally avoid fried items and to opt for salads with healthy oils, which are a nutritious option.
5. Never starve yourself before going to a restaurant: If you are planning to go out for lunch or dinner at a restaurant, it is advisable to eat a light meal beforehand. If not, you will arrive at the restaurant very hungry and will definitely end up eating things that are unhealthy. If it is a buffet meal, you should indulge in small portions.
6. Drink ample water: Drinking plenty of water in between the meal will give you a feeling of fullness without adding to the calories.
7. Limit alcohol: It is also advisable to reduce your intake of alcohol as it adds up to empty calories.
8. Finish the meal with a black coffee or tea: Do not be tempted to order a rich, fat filled dessert. Instead, you should opt for tea or coffee before finishing the meal.
If you are unfamiliar with the restaurant you choose, you should take a look at what others are eating. If the portions served look enormous, order half the portion so that you will not be tempted to clear the plate and regret it later. Yes, regardless of what you order, it is wise to use portion control to restrict your calories. With a little planning, self-control and by following the above tips you can definitely eat healthy at restaurants, such as The Keys, and still achieve your weight loss goals.