A wholesome dish that's certain to satisfy!
Eggs and hash browns form a dynamic duo you’ve probably encountered time after time at your breakfast table. Here at SkinnyMs., we’re shaking things up with the already-terrific twosome in this fabulous recipe for a Fried Eggs & Sweet Potato Hash! Instead of ordinary potatoes, this recipe calls for one of our favorite superfoods: sweet potatoes. They add a striking touch of sweetness to the familiar breakfast dish and crank up the nutrition.
The recipe also calls for a bunch of savory superfoods like red onion, diced bell pepper, and minced garlic, cooked together in one pan. Seasoned with savory spices, the flavorful fusion of ingredients makes room for four cracked eggs, yielding a wholesome dish that’s certain to satisfy.
Fried Eggs & Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 sweet potatoes large, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup bell pepper green or red, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil optional Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 eggs large
- 2 tablespoons cilantro freshly chopped
- Add cubed potatoes, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt to a pot with water. Make sure there's enough water to just cover potatoes. Bring potatoes to a boil, then reduce heat to a low-boil. Cook potatoes until slightly tender, but still firm.
- Drain potatoes and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet (cast iron if available), turn to medium heat, and add onions and bell peppers. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook one additional minute.
- Add onion mixture to a bowl and cover with a paper towel. Add remaining oil to the skillet and add potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, cumin, and paprika, tossing to combine. Turn heat to medium-low and cook potatoes until tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, turning while cooking. Be careful not to allow potatoes to burn.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add the peppers and onions to the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Create four openings and add 1 egg to each space, being careful not to break the yolks. Either continue cooking on stove top until eggs are set, or place skillet in a 375 degree oven and cook until eggs are set. Sprinkle cilantro atop potatoes and eggs.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.