You don't even need alternative flours to make this gluten-free dessert happen!
Apple crumble is one of my favorite fall treats. Making this tasty dessert is the perfect way to celebrate an abundance of apples after the harvest, but crumble toppings aren’t necessarily the healthiest choice around. They’re usually filled with empty calories from the flour and excess fat from using butter. That’s why we created this Gluten-Free Apple Crumble recipe. It captures all of the flavors of this autumn treat without any of the unhealthy fillings!
You don’t even need gluten-free or alternative flours to make our Gluten-Free Apple Crumble. During the testing phase, we found that combining chopped pecans, walnuts, coconut sugar, and cinnamon created a perfectly crumbly topping for this dessert. And why add extra calories when you really don’t need to?
How to Make Gluten-Free Apple Crumble
This gluten-free dessert recipe is really very simple. Simply combine the filling ingredients in a large bowl: the chopped apples, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and lemon juice. Place the filling into your baking dish while you get to work on creating the crumbly topping. As we said earlier, this topping is just nuts and spices. No need to add anything extra if it doesn’t need it!
Once the nut topping is well combined, layer it on top of the apple mixture and pop it in the oven. When it’s finished baking, the filling will be bubbly and the topping will be golden brown. Everyone’s oven is different, though, so pay attention to the crumble topping. You don’t want it to burn before the apples are cooked through! If it looks like the topping might burn, you can reduce the heat of the oven or use aluminum foil to keep the topping from getting any additional color.
Gluten Free Apple Crumble
- 6 large granny smith apples peeled, cored and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chopped apples, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, maple syrup, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, cardamom, salt and lemon juice. Toss until evenly combined.
- In another bowl, combine chopped pecans, walnuts, coconut oil, 1/4 cup coconut sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon until combined and mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Place apple mixture in a baking dish and top with crumble mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until apple are tender and crumble is golden brown. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. If topping is browning too quickly, you can also cover with foil to prevent topping from burning.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms