Breadcrumbs are essential to a variety of recipes, from baked entrees to cakes and pies. But when you pick up the store-bought variety, you don’t always know what you’re getting. What sort of refining and processing went into producing the bread in your grocery store breadcrumbs? Wouldn’t you like to know what’s in your food? These homemade bread crumbs can be made with your favorite, healthy whole wheat or whole grain bread, ensuring that they’ll be filled with the fiber and nutrients that a clean eating enthusiast loves!
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place as many slices of bread as possible on a large cookie sheet. Toast about 6 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from heat, place toast on a paper towel to cool. Repeat until all bread is toasted. I
- In a food processor, tear 4 pieces of toast into small pieces, add about 1/2 teaspoon of the oregano and pulse until a crumb consistency. After all toast is crumbed, return crumbs to the cookie sheet and toast about 6 additional minutes. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and place crumbs in a large bowl. Add any remaining oregano to crumbs, toss to combine.
- Allow crumbs to cool completely, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator up to 2 months.
- NOTE: It's necessary to toast the bread crumbs in two stages in order to remove moisture. Making your own bread crumbs is easy and perfect for coatings and in stuffing.