This Hummus Breakfast Bowl is perfect for those mornings when you’re really just craving something savory, but also don’t have a lot of time. It’s a good source of protein and grains, and also a great way to get in your veggies. It’s a perfect go-to for when you’re in a hurry, too, since it really is a quick meal to cook. I often find myself enjoying the warm bowl after the gym, before running out the door.
The most difficult part of creating the dish is not eating it before I get it in the bowl! The smell of the egg mixed with the quinoa and brown rice, along with the vegetables, is so overwhelmingly savory and appetizing. The aroma will have the entire family in the kitchen asking for some.
You can even choose different flavors of hummus, and also some additional healthy sauces to adhere to your cravings. For example, I usually use a roasted pine nut hummus to give the bowl more of that down-to-earth, nutty taste. However, sometimes I feel like spicing the morning up and using roasted red pepper hummus, followed by the addition of a quick drizzle of sriracha. You can’t go wrong with using one of our 7 Healthy Homemade Hummus Recipes to create your own hummus either. Whichever flavor of hummus you choose, the sunflower seeds are absolutely essential. They give the meal that extra crunch that will keep you coming back for more.
With some creaminess from the hummus, tons of vitamins and minerals from the vegetables, protein from the egg, healthy grains from the quinoa and/or brown rice, and, again, that extra crunch from the sunflower seeds, you’re sure to fall in love with this hummus breakfast bowl that’s delicious all year round.
Yield: 1 bowl | Serving Size: 1 bowl | Calories: 354 | Total Fat: 18 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 3 g | Protein: 14 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 156 mg | SmartPoints (Freelance): 9 |
- 2 tablespoons bell pepper, minced (any color)
- 1 cup kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roma tomato, diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot add the kale.
- Sauté the kale for 3-4 minutes then add in the tomatoes and peppers. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Lightly beat the egg and slowly add the the kale and peppers. Scramble until eggs are no longer runny.
- Place the quinoa into the bottom of a serving bowl, top with the vegetables and egg. Spoon the hummus on top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Enjoy!