Our Jerked Chicken & Plantain Skewers burst with Caribbean flavor.
Our Jerked Chicken & Plantain Skewers burst with Caribbean flavor. We’ve included uniquely sweet ingredients like juicy pineapple and savory plantains, a fruit in the banana family that’s a wonderful source of potassium and fiber. They also contain more vitamins than bananas. Grape tomatoes add brightness to the dish, while a splash of tangy lime juice enriches the bold flavor of the marinade.
Chop these clean, nutritious ingredients into cubes, spear them on bamboo sticks, and either oven-roast or grill them. Thanks to the chicken, this meal packs a protein punch that’ll fill you up for hours. This hand-held meal is simple to prepare, fun to eat, and a guaranteed crowd favorite!
Jerked Chicken & Plantain Skewers
- 2 teaspoons jerk seasoning
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pineapple fresh, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 plantain very ripe (blackened peel), peel on, cut into slices (if using grill, remove peel when eating but not before grilling)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Toss chicken, onions, and tomatoes in the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 20 minutes and up to one day. If using bamboo skewers, soak in warm water for 30 minutes before using to avoid splintering.
- Place chicken, onion, tomatoes, pineapple (if using), and plantains on a skewer. Leave space at both top and bottom of the skewer. Sprinkle each skewer all around with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Place skewers on sheet and roast for 30 minutes, rotating sheet pan, and turning over skewers halfway through. Baste with leftover marinade halfway through.
- Oil the grates of the grill and set the grill to medium heat. Use marinade for basting while cooking. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning to grill each side. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Have a favorite plantain recipe? Let us know! Drop a comment in the space below.