Our Jerked Chicken & Plantain Skewers burst with Caribbean flavor. We’ve included uniquely sweet ingredients like juicy pineapple and savory plantains, a fruit in the banana family that’s a wonderful source of potassium and fiber. They also contain more vitamins than bananas. Grape tomatoes add brightness to the dish, while a splash of tangy lime juice enriches the bold flavor of the marinade.
Chop these clean, nutritious ingredients into cubes, spear them on bamboo sticks, and either oven-roast or grill them. Thanks to the chicken, this meal packs a protein punch that’ll fill you up for hours. This hand-held meal is simple to prepare, fun to eat, and a guaranteed crowd favorite!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 skewer | Calories: 144 | Total Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 29mg | Carbohydrates: 16g | Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 9g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 very ripe plantain (blackened peel), peel on, cut into slices (if using grill, remove peel when eating but not before grilling)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into cubes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons jerk seasoning
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 bamboo or metal skewers
- Toss chicken, onions, and tomatoes in marinade. Marinate in refrigerator, covered, for at least 20 minutes and up to one day. If using bamboo skewers, soak in warm water for 30 minutes before using to avoid splintering.
- Place chicken, onion, tomatoes, pineapple (if using), and plantains on skewer. Leave space at both top and bottom of skewer. Sprinkle each skewer all around with salt and pepper.
- Oven roasted directions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Place skewers on sheet and roast for 30 minutes, rotating sheet pan and turning over skewers half way through. Baste with leftover marinade halfway through.
- Grilling directions:
- Oil the grates of the grill and set grill to medium heat. Use marinade for basting while cooking. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning to grill each side. Enjoy!
Have a favorite plantain recipe? Let us know! Drop a comment in the space below.