Why take the time to cook a whole turkey and you can make this easy slow cooker turkey breast?
We all know that scene from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. The one where he cuts into a seemingly perfect Christmas turkey only to have the severely overcooked bird pop open with an audible puff of smoke, its insides completely obliterated.
Sure, it’s hilarious and iconic, and a classic move in any holiday comedy. Until it’s your turn to cook Thanksgiving dinner, that is. This scene haunts the dreams of anyone who has ever had to cook a holiday meal. Sure, it’s a huge exaggeration, it would be pretty hard to literally cook a turkey’s insides to a crisp. But the threat of listening to your guests gnaw uncomfortably on overdone meat is all too real.
It may be an all-American, homestyle classic, but cooking a turkey is no simple feat. Between overcooking, undercooking, and the yearly roundup of deadly turkey frier horror stories, there’s a lot that can go wrong.
The easiest way to avoid these holiday kitchen nightmares? The slow cooker. Yep, this simple kitchen gadget is your key to perfect, juicy turkey. Now, this recipe won’t get you a full holiday bird with all the trimmings. But this juicy slow cooker turkey breast is an easy and delicious way to serve turkey any time.
Perfect for a weeknight meal, turkey breast sandwiches, or a low-key Thanksgiving dinner with friends, this recipe will get you perfectly cooked turkey every time. And whether you’re a beginner in the kitchen or an expert chef, this recipe comes in handy.
Oven-roasted may be the staple when it comes to turkey and chicken, but more and more people have turned to the slow cooker to get the job done. Why? Because the slow cooker guarantees the moist, juicy meat everyone craves. Finding that elusive balance between well-done and juicy was once an impossible secret our grandmothers lorded over us. Now, with this juicy slow cooker turkey breast recipe, you have your own dirty little secret.
This recipe uses traditional spices and flavor, like onions, garlic, and thyme for that classic Thanksgiving day taste. However, this recipe is a year-round staple, with plenty of opportunities for leftovers. Serve as an entrée, slice up for sandwiches, or shred for our hearty Turkey Sweet Potato Stew. If you’re really feeling the Thanksgiving inspo, however, serve this juicy turkey with a side of our Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Herb Gravy. And if you’re looking for more updated ways to serve a classic holiday meal, we’ve got you covered with a full holiday dinner menu.
So, whether you’re in charge of Friendsgiving this year or just looking for a new way to do turkey, this juicy slow cooker turkey breast is a must-have recipe. Not only does opting for turkey breasts make things much easier, but it’s also far more cost-effective. Why put all the money and effort into cooking a full bird when you can easily slow cook perfect, juicy turkey breast? And if National Lampoon’s dry turkey gag still has you haunted, allow the slow cooker to buy you some peace of mind.
Juicy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- 1 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 head of garlic cut in half horizontally
- 1 yellow onion peeled and cut in half horizontally
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds boneless and skinless turkey breast 1 large
- Add chicken broth to the slow cooker. Place the garlic and onion halves in the bottom of the slow cooker to create a "shelf" for the turkey breast.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Stir to make a paste and coat all sides of the turkey breast with the rub. Place the turkey on top of the onion and garlic halves in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook 7 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high or until turkey breast is cooked through. Pour drippings over turkey breast before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms